Making the bodice of the dress didn’t turn out so well, but the rest of the dress was easier. Here are the sewing instructions for the day:
Making and attaching the pleats was the first step.
You take the fabric on the black line and fold it over until it meets the broken line. I added pins to keep track of what piece needed to be pulled to where.
Once the pleats were in place I sewed them down. You can see on the back the nasty thread nest that occurred, but you can’t see it from the front so I just trimmed it down and left it.
Both pieces done and ready to be attached! As you can see from the pleats I have the sides switched up, but it was just for a picture.
I matched the triangles up and sewed on one piece. The second piece layers over the first, so it was important to sew it on even so the pleats weren’t covered on one side.
Both sides have now been sewed on and the top is done! Time to tackle the skirt next.
The skirt was very simple as I just needed to stitch up the side seems. The fabric is 100% polyester and doesn’t fray when cut. Once the skirt was sewed together it was time to attach it to the bodice!
I laid the pieces out like the final step in the pattern, but for the life of me I can’t figure out what I was supposed to do. When I matched the illustration one hem ended up showing on the outside, which didn’t seem right. Thanks for nothing pattern. Maybe next time use more words!
I ended up trying on the pieces separate and folding them to see what needed to be sewed to hide the inside hems. To do this the skirt had to go through the inside of the bodice and follow the ties up. I pinned the skirt and bodice together and sewed it shut. Most of the dress called for a straight stitch, so I stretched the fabric a little while I sewed. I used a zig zag stitch on parts like the skirt, but I’m not sure it mattered. I did use a ballpoint needle for stretch knits rather than the regular in the machine.
Hooray! The dress is done! The second half was much easier than the first. It might a while until I make another, though! Next time I might make the skirt shorter. This one fell to below the knees and is a little warm for the heat we have. Then again, I’m pretty short so it might be a normal length on other people. I’m pretty proud of finishing a whole dress and it gives me some more experience before my refashions. I’ll include photos of it on and wrapped in the next post!
I realized I never posted a picture of my sewing machine! Yes, it is covered in stickers. I haven’t had a problem with any of them catching on the fabric, but I try to keep only puffy stickers where it might drag against fabric. It is a Singer Heavy Duty which means it comes only in ugly gray. With the stickers I can almost forget the color. I’ve used it for a couple months and it’s worked great. This is the first project I’ve had where the thread kept getting tangled on the backstitch. The thread tension is correct, I hold the threads when I start sewing, rethreaded, and cleaned it out. No luck. When I run normal fabric through to test it does fine, so many it’s just this fabric. I also ordered a dress form! It should get here in about a week and I can do a lot more work on my refashions. For now I think I’ll make a few more skirts.